Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Surveillance Law Blocked


I have been reading many articles trying to decide which one I would choose. Most of the articles didn't appeal to me until I came across, "Senator wants scrutiny of surveillance law." The article reads that this past Monday, Sen. Ron Wyden blocked a five-year extension of the surveillance law. The surveillance law was used for the government to monitor foreigner's communication with American's, through review of e-mails and phone calls.  This was originally intended for the government to watch out for suspicious activity. Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon found out the count of how many people were being monitored, "not reasonably possible to identify the number of people located in the United States whose communications may have been reviewed." Wyden believes the government should be stopped from monitoring calls and e-mails, unless they have a warrant or emergency authorization. 

The reason I found this particular article appealing, was the fact that I have relatives out of states that I communicate with. It would be weird to think that the government could possibly be hearing in on my phone calls or reading my e-mails. I don't completely agree with this law. I like the fact that they have more awareness on the suspicious activity that could occur. On the other hand, there are many American's that have had their privacy invaded. Watch out the government could be monitoring your calls or e-mails. 










No comments:

Post a Comment